EpfIndia website epfindia.gov.in – Get info on PF Balance Check, Epf Withdrawal, Epf Interest Rate (8.55%), Employees Provident Fund Organisation PF Claim Status, Pension Status, Print Updated Passbook, Print your UAN Card, EPS Withdrawal ….
EPF (Employee Provident Fund) is a social security scheme that is created through the contribution made by an Employee during his active service period and a matching contribution made by his employer. The contributions are paid regularly every month during the period of employment of the employee till he retires. Epfindia.gov.in is the official web portal for EPFO India.
The aim is to build a corpus of funds available to the employer upon his retirement. Thus it amounts to creating a retirement fund or savings. The EPF scheme is applicable across India and across industries and organizations.
The EPF is managed by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), which is a government body created through the Employees’ Provident Funds & Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 which extends to the whole of Indian except Jammu and Kashmir. There are more than 5 crores subscribers to the scheme and it ranks among the largest social security schemes in the world.
Under the EPF Act, there are three schemes which are included within the package:
- Employees’ Provident Fund Scheme (EPFS)
- Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS)
- Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme (EDLI)
The Employees’ Provident Fund is created to provide financial security and stability to employees. An employee begins contribution once he joins a company. These contributions are made monthly on a regular basis. By saving a fraction of his salary every month, an employee can use it when he is not in employment or has retired.
The rate of contribution for both the employee and employer is at the rate of 12% of wages. In addition the Employer also contributes Administrative Fees and EDLI.
How to Get PF (Provident Fund) ?
PF can be withdrawn only under certain situations. In case of partial temporary withdrawals there are certain provisions that need to be complied with. In this case the employee can get the PF as a temporary loan which must be deposited back to the Fund.
Earlier, beneficiaries under the scheme, after separation or resigning from a job do not get their PF transferred from the previous employer to the new employer. One reason for this was that earlier the PF transfers often took time and were very complicated. Moreover, the funds were safe in the hands of EPFO and kept earning interests.
EPF Balance Check using UAN Number or PF Number at epfindia.gov.in
The EpfIndia website https://epfindia.gov.in gives you all the information about EPF that you will ever need. This includes your PF Balance Check with or without UAN Number. You will need to have UAN for accessing most of the features. Here is how you can use the EPF portal for checking your EPF Balance using your UAN or PF number.
PF Balance Check using with UAN Number
Ensure that your UAN has activated by your employer. Your UAN is unique and irrespective of how many job changes an employee has done, he can have only one UAN.
Follow these steps for your EPF Balance Check.
- Go to the EPFO India web portal, https://epfindia.gov.in. Click Our Services and choose For Employees option from the drop down list.
- Next click on the option Member passbook under the option Services.
- The Login page will be displayed on screen. Enter your UAN number and password.
- Once you are logged in, you can access not just the EPF Balance but all details about your EPF account. These details are your monthly PF contribution, your employer’s monthly PF contribution, your employer’s monthly contribution towards your pension scheme, withdrawals and latest EPF balance.
EPF Balance Check using PF Number in https://epfindia.gov.in
This is a very limited or restricted method of EPF Balance Check, as compared to the one that you can do with an UAN.
To get your EPF Balance using the PF Number, follow the following steps.
- Go to Epfo India official website: http://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/KYCS.php.
- At the bottom of the page, you will find; Click here to Know Your PF Balance.
- On clicking that link, you will be taken to the EPFO website and the page will display the heading; Member Balance Information
- Select your state.
- Select your EPF Office
- Select your Establishment Code.
- Enter your PF account number, name, and mobile number.
- Select the I Agree, checkbox.
- Click the Submit button.
That is all required to be done, to know your EPF Balance using you PF Number.
How to Check EPF claim Status at passbook.epfindia.gov.in
If you have your UAN which is activated, then checking your EPF Claim status or PF Claim Status becomes very easy, simple and straight forward. This is the new facility offered by EpfoIndia. Just follow these steps.
Check your PF Status by UAN
- Go to https://epfindia.gov.in/site_en/
- Select – Our Services; then from the drop-down list, Select – For Employees; then Select – Services
- On the next screen, Click – Know Your Claim Status
- The link will be taken to this URL: https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemClaimStatusUAN/
- The screen will display two boxes or fields where you have to input the information.
- In the first box, enter your UAN
- In the box below, enter the Captcha text that is displayed on the right
- Click the Search button.
That is all you need to do. Your EPF Claim status will be displayed on the screen.
There is also an old way of checking Claim status by EPF number. If you want to check your EPF claim status online at https://epfindia.gov.in then you need to follow these steps.
- Log in the EPFO website with https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/KYCS.php
- Select your State and then the EPFO region, office from the drop-down list.
- Search for the Establishment code on-screen
- On the screen displayed, Fill up the blank boxes with your EPF account number. The first two boxes containing State and EPFO office will be filled up automatically. Fill the extension code, if it is there in your EPF account number else leave the 3 digit extension code blank.
- Click – Submit button.
Your EPFO claim status message will be displayed on the screen. It will also give you an idea of the time it will take to get your EPF balance deposited in your bank.
How to Activate Universal Account Number (UAN Activation Procedure) at unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in?
Once you know your UAN, then the next step is to Activate UAN. Without activation of your UAN, you cannot take advantage of the several features that EPFO website provides. Also you will not be able to get your EPF Balance by sending a missed call or messages to EPFO numbers. You will also not be able to use the EPF app on your mobile. Therefore, it is imperative that once you get your UAN, you must activate it.
The requirement for your EPF UAN Activation is to keep the UAN and EPF number handy, as this information will be required. Moreover, you will also need to keep your mobile nearby and online, so that you can receive the OTP in the mobile.
Follow steps dedicates to who are searching EPFO UAN Activation Procedure…
- Visit the EPFO UAN web portal https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- On the page displayed onscreen, scroll down and click on the option – Active your UAN based registration.
- Select and check – I Have Read and Understood the Instructions.
- On the screen that is displayed, there will be several fields which you have to fill in. Enter your UAN, mobile number, state, EPF number.
- Next, enter the captcha characters shown in the text box.
- Click on – Get PIN.
- The PIN is received on your mobile. Enter the PIN and click on the Submit button.
- You have to choose a log-in password and your email id. Click – Submit.
- Your Universal Account Number UAN Activation was successfully activated. With your UAN and password, you can now access your EPF account on the EPFO website and perform many actions.
You can now view your contributions and EPF balance in the Member PassBook page and also download and save it. You can take a print out of your UAN Card for your reference. You can claim for Transfer and even withdrawal of funds. You will also be able to modify or edit your profile data such as mobile number, email id, KYC, password etc.
How to Forgot UAN Password (UAN Password Reset Procedure) at unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in
Once in a while people Forget UAN Password and want to recover or Reset Uan Password it. The procedure for doing it is actually very simple. Here you will learn to do it yourself. Just follow these steps.
This will work if your particulars that you enter, like Name, Date of Birth, Gender and Aadhaar / PAN etc. matches with what is available with EPFO.
Often it happens that some data may have been entered wrongly by the company staff while feeding the information in the EpfoIndia website. In such cases when you enter the correct data it will not match with that in the EPFO database.
You will receive an error message. In such cases you should immediately contact your employer to get the details.
- Go to UAN website of EPF: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Click on Forgot Password.
- Enter your UAN number and the Captcha.
- Click on Verify.
- Your mobile number in your UAN database will be shown. If you want to change the mobile Number, click No.
- You will be asked your Name, Date of Birth, Gender, KYC Type, and Document Number. Enter these details. Click on Verify.
- Click – Get Authorized Pin
- If OTP is successfully sent, you will see the message OTP is successfully sent. Sometimes you may get the message – Failed to send OTP. Please try again later. In such case you can re-try after some time.
- If OTP is sent successfully, then you will get the OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP at Enter Authorization Pin.
- Enter the New Password. The Password must have minimum 7 characters and minimum 4 alphabets, minimum 2 digits, 1 special character. Out of the minimum 4 alphabets there should be at least one capital and one small letter.
- Next, Confirm the New Password.
- Click on Submit Button.
- You will receive a pop-up message – password successfully changed.
Congratulations! You have successful Recovered you lost UAN password and hot new password. Now you can Login to the EPFO website with your new Password.
UAN Member Passbook in passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/?
For a EPF member who has an UAN and password; accessing the Passbook is very easy, convenient and readily accessible. The process is given in these steps.
- Go to the EPF website, epfindia.gov.in
- Select – Our Services
- Select – For Employees
- On the Member Passbook page, Login with your UAN details. Enter the 12 digit UAN number and Password of UAN website.
- You can now view the Passbook.
- You can save the Passbook by selecting Print, and then Changing Destination to Save as PDF.
That is all there is to it!
How to Check UAN Status at unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in?
Universal Account Number (UAN) is a 12 digit number that is allotted by the EPFO to give a unique identity to an EPF subscriber. UAN also makes it easy for online accessing your EPF account. It also helps in transferring EPF easily when one changes job. The UAN remains the same from a lifetime of the employee and can be used anywhere in India.
The EPFO allot the UAN to the employer on behalf of the employee. This is done after the KYC details are filled-in by the employer and it is verified on the EPFO portal. Once EPFO allots the UAN, the employer will provide it to the employee. You can also check the status of your Universal Account Number online.
Checking the UAN status:
To check the UAN status, you need to follow these simple steps.
- Visit the EPFO website at http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/
- Click on the option of Know your UAN status.
- On the fields displayed on the screen, select your state. Next select the PF office and the region. Then enter your PF number on the blank field displayed.
- You will get the Check Status option. Click on it.
- In case EPFO has allotted you your UAN, you will see a pop-up massage – Your UAN is allotted, kindly get your UAN no. from your employer.
In this case you can get the UAN from your employer. In case your UAN ststus is shown as pending, then you can get in touch with the employer and find out what went wrong while feeding your data. It is also possible that your information is incomplete. You will have to complete the documentation properly to ensure that there are no errors.
Once you get your UAN, the next step is to activate it from the EPFO portal and start getting all the benefits provided, including the ability to view and manage your EPF account.
Overview on EPF Interest Rate
The interest rate that is applied on the EPF fund accumulated is a compound epf interest rate that is decided by the Central Board of Trustees (CBT) and approved by the Government of India. It is payable as on the 1st of April every year.
Although the contributions are made monthly, the interest is calculated yearly. At the beginning of every year there is an opening balance which is the amount accumulated so far. Therefore the opening balance for the next year would be the opening balance of this year plus total monthly contributions for the year plus interest on the previous opening balance and total contributions. The interest is only applicable for the EPF balance. EPS balance is not affected as it is a pension scheme.
EPFO has more than 6 crores subscribers and this year the interest rates for 2017-18 has been reduced to 8.55% from 8.65% previously in 2016-17. Earlier in 2014-15 and 2015-16 the interest rates used to 8.8%. Our Central Government was recently reduced the Epf interest Rate of 8.55 % and it is the lowest pf interest rate in five years. This is despite the fact that this year the fund gained more than Rs.1000 crores in capital gains by selling off a part of its equity. The CBT’s decision will now be ratified by the Government and then the interest income will get credited into the account of EPFO members.
What does your UAN Card contain?
The UAN card issued to you by the EPFO contains the following details:
- UAN – The Universal Account Number of the employee is printed in prominent red color on the UAN card. It is printed on both sides of the card.
- Name of the Employee – The employee’s full name is mentioned on the UAN Card. The name is as provided in the EPF portal by the employer.
- Father’s Name/Husband’s Name – The employee’s father’s name is mentioned on the card. In case of a married woman, her husband’s name is mentioned.
- KYC – In this section, if the employee has submitted his KYC documents and got them approved by the employer then Yes is mentioned on the card. In case it is pending, No is mentioned.
- QR code – On the reverse the card, a QR code is printed. This QR code can be scanned to check the details of the UAN card. This helps in easy authentication of the card.
- Date Stamp – The date on which the UAN card is downloaded is also printed on the card.
These information printed on the UAN card is according to the EPFO database. The database is created by the employer by uploading the documents and details provided by the employee.
There can be errors or some data may need to be updated. In such cases you can contact the employer, or the EPFO office. There are several data that can be amended or changed by the employee through the portal after logging in with the required credentials. In case there are errors in your details, you can get them corrected/updated by contacting the concerned EPFO office.
EPFO is coming up with several advance features that can be used by its members. It is becoming more and more technological savvy. EPFO has already won the Gold Award for “Innovative Use of Technology in e-Governance” for the year 2015-2016. You can access all the functionalities of EPFO wen portal on the “Umang” App on your smart phone. In the coming days, be ready to get pleasantly surprised more often !